BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Blu-ray Review
I remember as a teen going to see every Walt Disney animated film in theaters multiple times. Beauty and the Beast is one of those films that I saw again and again. I know the words to all of the songs and most of the lines. When it was announced that Beauty and the Beast would become a live-action film, I was somewhat skeptical. I was not a huge fan of Cinderella, so I hoped that it would not be the same.
I am happy to say that I loved the live-action version of the film. It was amazing to see the characters to come to life in the flesh. What sets this version of Beauty and the Beast apart from other live-action adaptations is the spot-on casting. I think Emma Watson and Dan Stevens as the lead characters was wonderful. I also loved Josh Gad and Luke Evans in their roles.
Some may complain about the singing abilities of Watson and Stevens, but I thought that they did a splendid job. They might not want to consider only doing musicals from now on, but I think that they did very well. The special features include a featurette highlighting the way that they brought the music to the screen.
One thing that could have made the film miss the mark was the costumes. Luckily, the costume designs truly helped bring the characters to life. One of the best special features is a featurette showing how Disney took a beloved animated film and created a live-action classic.
Buying this Blu-ray is a no-brainer for fans of the animated version, but is a fantastic addition to the collection of any movie lover. Keep reading to learn more about the Blu-ray and the special features below.
Official Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray Press Release:
- Enchanted Table Read – Join the cast for the movie’s elaborately staged table read, complete with singing and dancing to live music, set pieces and more.
- A Beauty of a Tale – Explore the process of transforming a beloved animated film into a new live-action classic.
- The Women Behind “Beauty and the Beast” – Emma Watson introduces several of the talented women in all aspects of production who helped bring this enchanted tale to life.
- Making a Moment with Celine Dion – Celine Dion shares what it’s like to sing “How Does a Moment Last Forever” – and be a part of the legacy of “Beauty and the Beast.”
- From Song to Screen: Making the Musical Sequences – See what goes into making some of the best-known moments from “Beauty and the Beast.”
- “Belle” — Filmmakers and cast reveal how it felt to shoot this memorable scene.
- “Be Our Guest” — Discover all that went into creating this epic, primarily virtual performance.
- “Gaston” — Join the cast for rehearsals and filming of this rousing, high-energy number.
- “Beauty and the Beast” — You’re invited on set for the filming of this beloved, classic scene.
- Deleted Scenes
- Introduction by Director Bill Condon — Director Bill Condon presents a collection of scenes that, for one reason or another, ended up on the cutting-room floor.
- Gaston Courts Belle — Pleased with himself after settling a disturbance with the townspeople, a triumphant Gaston attempts to woo Belle.
- Bread and Jam for Agathe — On her morning market rounds, Belle stops by to see Agathe, the village beggar woman.
- Storming the Ice Gates — The angry mob of villagers, led by Gaston, overwhelms the castle’s defenses.
- Lumière Torches LeFou — As the fight rages around them, LeFou scuffles with Plumette … until he experiences a sudden, extremely heated interruption.
- Monsieur Toilette — LeFou escapes from the brawl into a small room, where he’s startled by a castle resident.
- Cogsworth Rescues Lumière — When Clothilde the fishmonger threatens Lumière, Cogsworth leaps into the fray.
- Treacle the Lasses — Three village lasses chase Chip and Froufrou – Madame Garderobe’s dog-turned-footstool – into the kitchen, where a surprise awaits.
- LeFou and Monsieur Toilette Reunite — After the spell is broken and the castle residents are returned to human form, LeFou and his new acquaintance meet again.
- Extended Song: “Days in the Sun” – Learn more about Beast’s childhood in an alternate version of this beautiful song, introduced by director Bill Condon.
- “Beauty and the Beast” Music Video – Award-winning artists Ariana Grande and John Legend perform a moving version of this iconic song.
- Making the Music Video – Go on set to capture the magic as it happens in Ariana Grande and John Legend’s “Beauty and the Beast” music video.
- Disney Song Selection – Jump directly to all your favorite songs and sing along with the movie.
- “How Does a Moment Last Forever” (Music Box)
- “Belle” (Reprise)
- “Be Our Guest”
- “Days in the Sun”
- “Something There”
- “How Does a Moment Last Forever” (Montmartre)
- “Beauty and the Beast”
- “The Mob Sing”
- “Beauty and the Beast” (Finale)
- “Beauty and the Beast” Music Video