GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 – 4k Blu-ray Review
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the first 4K Blu-ray that I have owned or watched. I saw it in theaters twice, both were showings looked and sounded great, but my 4K viewing was unbelievable. I was blown away because of the colors mostly, but the sound mix was so rousing that I felt I would be shot back into my couch if I turned up the volume just one more setting.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a great movie, but watching it 4K was amazing. I have had a 4K TV for over a year and an Xbox One S since Christmas and I can’t believe that I waited this long to watch something in 4K. Blu-ray’s look good on my TV, but 4K Blu-ray’s look fantastic and truly makes the most of the TV I spent good money for.
Let me talk a bit about the movie. Every time Marvel releases a new film I make the statement that it can’t get any better. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a prime example of this sentiment. I loved the first film, and was excited to see James Gunn return to direct the sequel. His vision really is what makes this film and the one before it awesome.
You can have the best director, but have a horrible script and actors who are just showing up for a paycheck, and the film would be utter crap. Guardians is the exact opposite of that. Not only does it have Gunn at the helm, but has a stellar cast and a great script.
Chris Pratt has become one of my favorite actors as of late because of his on screen presence and off-screen charm from his interviews. Having him in a film can pretty much guarantee that I will see it. The entire cast is great and has such a solid chemistry that the script would have to be dogshit to make the film suck. Luckily the script is also a home run.
While Pratt and the rest of the live-action actors are great, the animated/CGI characters are the ones that stole the show. Groot and Rocket stole the scene whenever they were on screen. Groot especially gives this film a little extra bit of heart.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is perfect fun for the whole family. If you are on the fence of picking up a 4K Blu-ray, let me point you in the right direction. 4K is the wave of the future and I can’t wait to see more titles being released in the format and prices to drop.
Despite the price, Guardians on 4K is well worth the price. Not only do you get the film in glorious 4K, but you also get a digital copy and the film on standard Blu-ray and some great special features which I have listed below.
- The Making of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” – A four-part, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, done in the style of classic-rock album liner notes.
- Visionary Intro – Director James Gunn provides context on how he continues and expands the storylines of these beloved characters in “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.”
- Guardians Inferno Music Video – Join David Hasselhoff and special guests for a galactic retro dance party.
- Gag Reel – Laugh out loud at all the hilarious off-script shenanigans and bloopers that took place on the set of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” featuring all your favorite Guardians.
- Four Deleted Scenes – Check out four specific scenes that had to be cut from the film, including two extended scenes and two deleted scenes.
- Audio Commentary – Check out a special narration of the film by director James Gunn, who guides fans through an inside look at the making of the movie.
- Three Scene Breakdowns (Digital Exclusives) – We’ll reveal the anatomy of a few key scenes from the film. Discover the process in bringing these scenes to life. It starts with a doodle and the rest is film history. Audiences will be given the option to view 5-6 layers of specific scenes in the film. Scenes include “Eclector Escape,” “Gamora and Nebula,” and “Rocket and Ravagers.”
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! (Digital Exclusive) – Get an exclusive sneak peek inside the most anticipated ride at Disneyland, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!. We’ll dig into the concepts and inspiration, and talk about what it took to bring the most epic ride at Disneyland to life.